The city examined – with a focus on three contemporary masterpieces including Renzo Piano’s Aurora Place and Australia’s greenest tower.
- Walking tours of Sydney Harbour led by practising architects.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top five architecture tours by The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top ten architecture tours by The Guardian UK.
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2012-2018.
Duration: 2.5 hours
Getting beyond the postcard view of the city and its two shimmering icons, ‘Harbourings’ reveals Sydney at her rawest and most spectacular, her most self–conscious and most corrupt.
Join us on this stroll around Sydney’s spectacular harbour edge, from Circular Quay, through the city’s great depository of memory -The Rocks – up Observatory Hill and on to Walsh Bay. The route is diverse, spectacular and full of surprising recent projects as well as gritty historical reminders of the cities industrial/maritime past.
Beginning with Circular Quay, where the powerful forces of commerce are held back from the harbour by that bland concrete motorway – the Cahill Expressway – we will discuss Utzon’s vision for the Quay, controversial plans for the Museum of Contemporary Art and you will discover Sydney’s brutalist masterpiece – the radical Sirius Apartment building by Tao Gofers.
We will pluck out some surprising contemporary gems in The Rocks and Millers Point before attacking the breath-taking Walsh Bay Finger Wharves, a family of early 20th Century industrial buildings that extend out into Sydney’s harbour. They are amongst the largest timber structures in the world, romantic symbols of Sydney’s industrial maritime history and the first structures in Australia to be nominated for World Heritage. They were recently converted into a modern residential and cultural precinct.
Museum of Sydney (forecourt), corner Phillip & Bridge Streets, Sydney
- If you have a Gift Card, enter the code in the next window.
- Please bring your ticket for scanning either printed or on your phone.
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes prior to tour departure.
- Tickets are transferrable and cancellable up to 72 hours before the event.
- Whatever happens in regards to weather – we walk! Bring a sun hat, umbrella, camera, sketch book and so on. If for some reason the tour does not go ahead, you will receive a full refund. In this instance we would notify you at least 90 minutes prior to the tour by text message so a mobile number is required.
Email [email protected]
SAW is a member of Guiding Architects, the international network for high-quality architecture tours.