Regeneration and renewal of Sydney’s inner-fringe. An insiders’ tour of Sydney with a two-wheeled, architectural twist.
- Tours of Sydney led by practising architects.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top five architecture tours by The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top ten architecture tours by The Guardian UK.
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2012-2018.
Duration: 2.5-3 hours (including coffee break)
Group Size: Max 15 people
The transformation and regeneration of Sydney’s inner-fringe.
We will explore the area around Central Station where the suburbs of Surry Hills, Chippendale and Ultimo kiss and where Sydney is undergoing the most dramatic of transformations. It is also the place where the sharpest oppositions are playing out between city and state, memory and newness, money and politics, inspiration and pragmatism opening up conversations big and small.
Our route will be structured around a number of extraordinary contemporary architectural and urban projects, contested sites and politically charged themes. These include recent headline projects by a trio of Pritzker-prize winners – Norman Foster, Frank Gehry and Jean Nouvel. You will also discover transformative work by some of Sydney’s local heroes including Durbach Block Jaggers, William Smart, CHROFI, Tonkin Zulaikha Greer and Silvester Fuller.
This tour is an exploration of these gritty, rapidly changing and completely mixed up inner-city suburbs weaving a very different narrative through Sydney.
Balfour Street Park near the White Rabbit Gallery, corner of Wellington and Balfour Streets, Chippendale. The nearest Station is Central Station
- If you have a Gift Card, enter the code in the next window.
- Please bring your ticket for scanning either printed or on your phone.
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes prior to tour departure.
- Tickets are transferrable and cancellable up to 72 hours before the event.
- Whatever happens in regards to weather – we walk! Bring a sun hat, umbrella, camera, sketch book and so on. If for some reason the tour does not go ahead, you will receive a full refund. In this instance we would notify you at least 90 minutes prior to the tour by text message so a mobile number is required.
Email [email protected]
SAW is a member of Guiding Architects, the international network for high-quality architecture tours.