- Tour led by a practising architect.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top five architecture tours by The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top ten architecture tours by The Guardian UK.
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2012-2018.
Duration: 4 hours (including coffee break)
Group Size: Max 12 people
Until recently, the suburbs of Waterloo, Redfern and Surry Hills were associated more with pestilence, poverty and crime than hipster cafe’s, restaurants and bars. Over recent decades these neighbourhoods have undergone massive change with a steady influx of squatters, students, artists, and other creative types creating a thriving street scene. Sure enough, the money, the foodies, and the architects soon followed!
Sticking to bike paths, back lanes and quiet streets you will experience urban Sydney at her grooviest. The route and conversation will be structured around a number of contemporary projects, contested sites, and politically charged themes. You will discover projects large and small including inspired renovations, new houses, award-winning public and cultural buildings, contemporary landscapes, infill developments on tiny sites as well as large, mixed-use developments as we discuss the patterns driving change and reveal the new ideas shaping how we live in the private and public realms.
Taking centre stage will be a suite of projects by local heroes Neeson Murcutt Architects, Collins + Turner, SJB, Angelo Candalepas, John James, Ian Moore, Raffaello Rosselli, and Andy Macdonald with Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore
This tour is no touristic join-the-dots. It’s an exploration of a city by stealth that will reveal an altogether different side to Sydney than the one you may have imagined.
Prince Alfred Park & Pool. 105 Chalmers St, Surry Hills. There is a cafe at the entry called Whisk & Paddle.
- You will need your own bike. There are various bike-hire and bike-share operators to choose from including Mobike and Lime Electric Bikes. More info on bike sharing in Sydney here: http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/explore/getting-around/cycling/what-is-bike-share
- If you have a Gift Card, enter the code in the next window.
- Please bring your ticket for scanning either printed or on your phone.
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes prior to tour departure.
- Tickets are transferrable and cancellable up to 72 hours before the event.
- The route is as safe and quiet as possible, a combination of bicycle paths, pavements, laneways, and back streets. However, you will still need to be a reasonably confident cyclist. Gloves are a great idea if its cold, and a sun visor or beanie will fit under your helmet. Sunscreen is also a great idea (don’t forget the back of your neck and hands!). Rain coat provided in case of unexpected wet weather.
What if the weather is completely rubbish?
- We will not compromise your safety (and we’re not complete sadists) so if it looks like there will be awful weather (and we’re not talking a little bit of drizzle) the tour will be cancelled and you will receive a full refund. We require a cell/mobile number as part of your booking and will contact you at least 90 minutes before the scheduled tour if (and only if) the tour is cancelled.
Email [email protected]