The transformation and regeneration of Ultimo.
- Explore sydney on a bike!
Three-Suburbs South bicycle tour
An insiders tour with a two-wheeled, architectural twist.
- Tour led by a practising architect.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top five architecture tours by The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top ten architecture tours by The Guardian UK.
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2012-2022.
Duration: 4 hours (including coffee break)
Group Size: Max 12 people
- Early Bird
Over recent decades the inner-city, former working-class ‘burbs’ of Waterloo, Redfern and Surry Hills have undergone massive change. No longer associated with poverty and crime they now boast many of the city’s most popular cafes, bars and restaurants and have a thriving creative scene with something to be discovered around every corner.
Sticking to bike paths, back lanes and quiet streets, our route and conversation will be structured around a number of contemporary projects, contested sites, and politically charged themes. You will discover inspired renovations, new houses, public and cultural buildings, contemporary landscapes, infill developments on tiny sites as well as large, mixed-use developments as we discuss the new ideas shaping how we live in our private and public realms.
Taking centre stage will be a suite of projects by local heroes Neeson Murcutt Architects, SJB, Angelo Candalepas, Hill Thalis, Breathe Architecture, John James, Ian Moore, Raffaello Rosselli and Andy Macdonald.
This tour is no touristic join-the-dots. It’s an exploration of a city by stealth that will reveal an altogether different side to Sydney than the one you may have imagined.
Prince Alfred Park & Pool (outside). 105 Chalmers St, Surry Hills.
You need your own bike.
- If you need to hire a bike there are various bike-hire and bike share operators to choose from. However, the best value by far is Zoomo E-Bikes in Chippendale. Hiring an electric bike starts at $39/week and their Chippendale shop is 1km from the meeting point. You need to organise this at least one day before as they don’t open till 10am Saturday.
- If you have a Gift Card, enter the code in the next window.
- Tickets are transferrable and cancellable up to 72 hours before the event.
- We will be going slowly and the route is as safe and quiet as possible, a combination of bicycle paths, pavements, laneways and back streets. However, you still need to be a reasonably confident cyclist.
What if the weather is awful?
- We will not compromise your safety so if it looks like there will be awful weather (and we’re not talking a little bit of drizzle) the tour will be cancelled and you will receive a full refund. We require a cell/mobile number as part of your booking and will contact you at least 90 minutes before the scheduled tour if (and only if) the tour is cancelled.
- Dress for the weather. Gloves are a great idea if its cold, and a sun visor or beanie will fit under your helmet. Sunscreen is also wise (don’t forget the back of your neck and hands!).
Almost but not quite?
Does this tour almost meet your needs, but you would like to customise a few options?
Email us at [email protected]
SAW is a member of Guiding Architects, the international network for high-quality architecture tours.