Getting beyond the postcard view of the city and its two shimmering icons, ‘Harbourings’ reveals Sydney at her rawest and most spectacular, her most self–conscious and most corrupt.
- Sydney walking tours led by practising architects.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top five architecture tours by The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top ten architecture tours by The Guardian UK.
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2012-2018.
Duration: 2.5 hours
Group Size: Max 15 people
A pedestrian artery for twenty thousand years; the ancient walking track from Circular Quay to the fresh water spring known as the Tank Stream is now Sydney’s meandering George Street spine.
Tracing a route from Circular Quay to Sydney Town Hall, we will slalom down George and flirt with its public and private edges, trespassing across territory political, cultural, social as well as architectural. Charles Darwin’s 1836 narrative along the same path will inflect our journey as we examine the city and reflect on Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore’s transformative urban strategies.
We will focus on the defining urban and architectural elements of George including master works by Harry Seidler, Angelo Candalepas, Johnson Pilton Walker, FJMT, Alexander Calder and Grimshaw Architects.
Customs House (forecourt). 31 Alfred St, Sydney – 1 minute walk from Circular Quay Station.
- If you have a Gift Card, enter the code in the next window.
- Please bring your ticket for scanning either printed or on your phone.
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes prior to tour departure.
- Tickets are transferrable and cancellable up to 72 hours before the event.
- Whatever happens in regards to weather – we walk! Bring a sun hat, umbrella, camera, sketch book and so on. If for some reason the tour does not go ahead, you will receive a full refund. In this instance we would notify you at least 90 minutes prior to the tour by text message so a mobile number is required.
Email [email protected]
SAW is a member of Guiding Architects, the international network for high-quality architecture tours.