Getting beyond the postcard view of the city and its two shimmering icons, ‘Harbourings’ reveals Sydney at her rawest and most spectacular, her most self–conscious and most corrupt!
- Walking tours in Sydney led by practising architects.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top five architecture tours by The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top ten architecture tours by The Guardian UK.
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2012-2019.
Duration: 2.5 hours
- Early Bird
Guided by the spirit of interwar modernity, Modern Sydney follows a mazy path through the guts of Sydney from Anzac Memorial in Hyde Park to Circular Quay.
We will explore the urban and architectural ideals at the heart of modernism; ideas borrowed from the great Europe and North American cities in the early 20th Century, and discuss the mediating factors of distance, culture, technology, politics and environment as we search for the influence of modernity on contemporary Sydney.
Modernism’s twin strands will be our guide. The decorative, user-friendly style of art deco that concerned itself with the aesthetic or the idea of the machine rather than the machine itself – beautifully realised in Emil Sodersten’s QBE on Pitt Street. We will also look at some wonderful examples of the work of more ‘serious’ modernists like Harry Seidler, finishing with the flowering of many of these ideas in seminal projects by Renzo Piano and Jørn Utzon.
Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park. Meet on the northern side near the “Pool of Reflection”. 2 minutes walk from Museum Station
- If you have a Gift Card, enter the code in the next window.
- Please bring your ticket for scanning either printed or on your phone.
- Please arrive at the meeting point 10 minutes prior to tour departure.
- Tickets are transferrable and cancellable up to 72 hours before the event.
- We are COVID-Safe and follow all current NSW Government requirements. Physical distancing is required. Masks are encouraged but not mandatory.
- Whatever happens in regards to weather – we walk – so dress for the weather! If for some reason the tour does not go ahead, you will receive a full refund. In this instance we would notify you at least 90 minutes prior to the tour by text message so a mobile number is requested in the next window.
Email [email protected]
SAW is a member of Guiding Architects, the international network for high-quality architecture tours.