An insiders’ bike tour of gritty Redfern, Surry Hills and Waterloo with an architectural twist!
- Tours of Sydney led by practising architects.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top five architecture tours by The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Nominated as one of the world’s top ten architecture tours by The Guardian UK.
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence 2012-2019.
- Includes complimentary Wine + Cheese.
Duration: 2.5 hours + 1 hour of wine+cheese after the tour
Group Size: Max 15 people
- Early Bird
Historically the centre of Sydney’s rag trade and home to one of the countries largest breweries, the transformation of Chippendale over the last decade has been nothing short of spectacular. This has architectural and urban dimensions of course, but there have been concurrent cultural shifts in the world of art, design, landscape and gastronomy as well.
How did this come about and what are the forces driving this change? Who are the key protagonists and what are the new ideas shaping this inspiring area?
Join us on this gritty architectural tour of Chippendale. Our route will be structured around a number of architectural, art and urban interventions including projects by Pritzker-prize winning architects Norman Foster and Jean Nouvel. You will also discover transformative work by local heroes Durbach Block Jaggers, William Smart, John Wardle Architects, Tonkin Zulaikha Greer and Silvester Fuller. We will also sniff out one of Australia’s finest social housing schemes, independent art galleries, converted warehouses, inspired laneway developments, street art and discuss audacious plans to transform Central Station as we explore the suburbs underbelly.
The tour will finish at Handpicked Wines Cellar Door designed by Melbourne’s DesignOffice where we invite you to join us for prosecco and cheese.
Brickfields Bakery Café: Corner of Balfour and Cleveland Streets, Chippendale.
The tour will finish at Handpicked Wines Cellar Door: 50 Kensington St, Chippendale.
- If you have a Gift Card, enter the code in the next window.
- We are COVID-Safe and follow all current NSW Government requirements. Physical distancing is required. Masks are encouraged but not mandatory.
- Tickets are transferrable and cancellable up to 72 hours before the event.
- Each person will receive a glass of prosecco plus a selection of either soft white, wash rind, semi/hard or blue cheese.
- Whatever happens in regards to weather – we will walk! Bring a sun hat, umbrella, camera, sketch book and so on. If for some reason the tour does not go ahead, you will receive a full refund. In this instance we would notify you at least 90 minutes prior to the tour by text message so a mobile number is required.
Email [email protected]
SAW is a member of Guiding Architects, the international network for high-quality architecture tours.